Friday, May 22, 2009

Do I trust Him?


Several weeks ago, distressed, frustrated, and weary, I called a friend, fellow minister for advice. My voicemail didn't give hint that I was a "mess" and it didn't express the sense of urgency that I felt.

Fortunately, my friend called me back within an hour. Knowing that she (and her family) had recently made a very tough decision that would affect longtime relationships, I expressed my concerns without trying to be emotional. She put the right words in my mouth, "When do you cut your losses?"

Yep. That summed it up.

As we talked and she shared her personal experience, it became clear that I was not trusting God in my situation (the one that I was sharing with her, as well as others) .

When you have done all you know to do, stand.

Ephesians 6:13 (Amp) says "Therefore put on God's complete armor, that you may be able to resist and stand your ground on the evil day [of danger], and, having done all [the crisis demands], to stand [firmly in your place]."

I had prayed. Prayed for wisdom, protection, and vindication. Even prayed for my enemies. Spoke the Word.

Yet, I was stressing out.

If God was leading me to take a leap of faith, then why couldn't I do that?

If I believed God's word, then why couldn't I relax. 1Peter 5:7 says to cast all your cares on Him because He cares for you.

I love the way The Message Bible breaks it down:

So be content with who you are, and don't put on airs. God's strong hand is on you; he'll promote you at the right time. Live carefree before God; he is most careful with you.
1Peter 5:6,7


After that conversation, daily I took stock of every area of my life where there was little or no trust. Flat out fear.

A week or so later, I was sitting at a stop light and noticed a construction crew to my left. Their company logo and message was painted on the truck's side. Their message was most powerful:

This company trusts in God.

No comments:

Post a Comment